Monitoring and Evaluation
The mandate of monitoring and evaluation (M&E) cuts across all thematic areas and: 1) provides strategic information leadership by implementing international M&E standards and supporting normative guidelines to the countries in the region; 2) establishes and maintains a regional monitoring system that supports the tracking of indicators measuring progress on the Global AIDS Progress report and other initiatives such as Universal Access and the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), supplementing this monitoring system with special evaluation studies of regional significance as needed; 3) produces regional reports and synthesis for regional dissemination; 4) provides technical support to country-level UNAIDS M&E Advisers in their efforts to support the national M&E system; and 5) coordinates and strengthens the regional and country M&E partners communications and collaboration network in support of a harmonised and aligned approach to indicator monitoring, evaluation approaches, and capacity building to attain the third ‘One’ – one national M&E system.
Primary responsibilities are to lead in the development and strengthening of regional M&E systems and to support national M&E systems. The aim is to contribute to effective national leadership and strategic management of HIV regional and country programmes, including but not limited to managing and overseeing the utilisation of data and information, as appropriate. This is to ensure that evidence-informed programme planning and implementation, which inform the ‘Three Zeros’, spend 70 per cent of their time directed at strengthening national M&E systems (including joint programming) through direct technical assistance to countries, and the remaining 30 per cent to regional activities
Denis Nash, Batya Elul, Miriam Rabkin, May Tun, Suzue Saito, Mark Becker, and Harriet Nuwagaba-Biribonwoha
Strategies for More Effective Monitoring and Evaluation Systems in HIV Programmatic Scale-Up in Resource-Limited Settings: Implications for Health Systems Strengthening
Program monitoring and evaluation (M&E) has the potential to be a cornerstone of health systems strengthening and of evidence-informed implementation and scale-up of HIV-related services in resource-limited settings. This articles discusses common challenges to M&E systems used in the rapid scale-up of HIV services as well as innovations that may have relevance to systems used to monitor, evaluate, and inform health systems strengthening.